In 1881, The J.L. Hudson Company founded their Hudson’s department store in Detroit, experiencing tremendous growth with the city’s automobile prosperity. It included everything from a barber shop for kids to an equestrienne shop. It became the second largest department store and the tallest department store in the world by 1961.
However, the decline of the economy in the later half of the century encouraged the company to pull its investments out of Detroit. The building was closed in 1983 and demolished in 1998.